The industry seminar about broadcast media this week was interesting for me because I have been in this business for years, aside from the print media.
When Sir Beaver asked our resource persons in broadcast media on what seems to be the glowing problem among newly graduates when they step into the real world of newsroom, I immediately raised a particular issue.
Most newly grads find it difficult to operate equipments in the newsroom.
To tell you frankly, newsroom is like a different world where everybody is on the rush doing their own business. Everybody is beating their deadlines so there is really no time to teach newly grads on how to operate a high-tech equipment.
Take this for example, when I used to work as a correspondent on TV5, I took pity on a certain newly grad who doesn’t have a hint on how to use the P2 player where you can view your P2 card and have the time coded.
And worst, when I asked the guy to please grab the P2 player, he had no idea what a P2 player is.
My classmate IC, who is the current executive producer of TV5’s morning show also raised an issue regarding the not-so-credible sources of newly grad reporters.
It is very basic for a reporter to have a nose for the news so it is also their primary duty to widen their clout in order for these new guys to broaden their sources.
I also think that to really learn a craft there should be equal parts theory and practice, which is why I really value opportunities for on-the-job training or interships. These venues place focus on your learning before the results (because both are ultimately reflective of each other).
ReplyDelete