When was the last time I participated in a formal debate?
Whoa…that was in my college days complete with the podium and all. Vox populi was the name of our three-man team with half of the university’s population watching.
Then came the informal debate which was organized by Sir Beav last Tuesday in our class.
There were two topics.
First.The best approach to reduce the negative impact of the rapid evolution of media: External body or self regulation (we argued for the self regulationJ)
Second. Is Western media really that powerful?
I can describe the informal debate experience as fun, informative and refreshing.
It was fun because we enjoyed our arguments. There were no losers and winners. There were no huge crowd. In fact, we were only nine students participating in the informal debate. There were laughter and applause.
Informative.We learn as we justified our stand. We also gathered some good points from the other side of the argument.
Refreshing because it stimulates our mind. We sort of brushed up our memories about the topics discussed. It was indeed a stimulating discussion.
With the informal debate in our class, I just realized that arguments from both sides in a debate can be easily comprehended if done with Sir Beav’s informal style minus the serious and feisty faces of the traditional debaters extremely pushing for what they stand.
Just a wishful thinking. If only debates can be done with fun and laughter, not in a monotonous manner, and yet with informative and intelligent arguments, then the discussion would be inspiring and interesting.
I found the informal debates very enlightening and engaging as well. I'm glad we got the chance to explore these issues in a structured yet ennjoyable format. It's amazing how one small word: "informal" can ease the atmosphere surrounding the debate, while still allowing for different perspectives to be challenged and delved into further.
ReplyDeleteYes, I think the rigidity and seriousness of a formal debate's what makes me dislike it :)) A formal debate is like a boring class. They are both informative, but we all know how fleeting our attention span is. Learning can be both fun and exciting, right?
ReplyDelete