Thursday, July 7, 2011

POWER IN COMMUNICATION…AMAZING!
  
     I ran in a little bit late for Sir Beaver’s class last Tuesday and while I was catching my breath from taking three steps at a time in the stairway going to the third floor, I was struck and got immediately interested with the initial discussion.
     I knew  from the start that it was a jump-off from last week’s discussion regarding Thompson’s various type of power.
     Sir Beaver was already discussing the third and the fourth type of power but of course, I gathered my notes and browsed to catch up with the first and second type of power so I could follow.
      Being in the mainstream media from the start of my working profession, I have already realized how vast the power of communication is and it is very interesting to think that we really need to communicate in order for us to perpetuate the various type of power, as per Thompson.
     Focusing on the Coercive type of power, we cannot help but give US army as perfect example because we always have the instant notion that American forces are one of the bests if not the supreme all over the world.
    Now, here is the question that I want to raise. Why most of us perceive the belief that Western armed forces are formidable and unbeatable?
   This impression is the product of long term stratcom plan to perpetuate their coercive power in the international circle.
    Communication experts use worldwide television and print to drumbeat America’s latest and high tech military gadgets, thus, intimidating other aggressive nation. Also, we should take note that in increasing differences among nations, US military force will always be in the middle of the conflict but communicators always make it to a point that in giving out photo releases, we can see that they are well equipped and are always ready whenever they are needed.
     This image using communication and media definitely perpetuate coercive power that the US forces want to project.
      Remember how US forces shot and eventually killed the elusive Osama Bin Laden after years of running after him?
      Communication experts carefully gave out releases and statements from the US military officials capitalizing on how the special squad systematically planned the whole thing, thus, recognizing US military power as one of the best.

4 comments:

  1. I think your example also highlights the relevance of media in the context of the control metaphor. As you pointed out: "Communication experts carefully gave out releases and statements from the US military officials capitalizing on how the special squad systematically planned the whole thing, thus, recognizing US military power as one of the best." It also shows the significance of the symbolic power that the media wields, as it has the capacity to influence the way we perceive the U.S. military. We can see how media acts as a social stimulus to facilitate this idea of the U.S. military holding great power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fr. Edward..

    Not just comments about the U.S. weapons, but the TV media as a communication medium has proven to have tremendous strength (powerful). If so, the TV media (various other media) used by the U.S. as a campaign about its strength, and the results ... will be very .. very remarkable.

    As you said there are indications that the economy and politics (even already be a product of stratkom plan) so experts caution communication to comment on U.S. military forces. It means the media used as propaganda for the sake of U.S. interests. This reality is much more similar to what we understand as the control metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting observation! I appreciate how this example really highlights how the media can also be a tool for military strategy. The aim of news and current affairs is to inform. However, as I see it now from reading your article, it also doubles as this propaganda tool for fear and intimidation, announcing how the USA is not a nation to be taken lightly. Of course, we all know that already but putting forward the might and force of their military really perpetuates a kind of coercion even if we are not directly handled physically by the US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Joselle, it is, indeed, a very interesting observation of how global media can cultivate a certain impression of the United States' dominance as a military superpower.

    ReplyDelete